Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Climate Change, a source of inspiration?


This recent article 'Chanel does climate change, with real icebergs' caught my attention. But as I read on further into the article, I was fooled. I initially assumed that these fashion names are doing something to make a difference; creating an awareness on climate change. But sadly what I gathered from it, was that designer Karl Lagerfeld manifested an Artic production for his recent Chanel Fall- Winter 2010-2011 ready to wear look. Bringing on real Artic icebergs to create a realistic feel for top guns in the fashion industry.
The author, Jenny Barchfield, states 'what use is the threat of a catastrophe of global proportions if not to fuel fashion trends and inspire clever variations on Chanel's iconic styles?'. I find this a little offensive. What are your comments on this?
Models decked in yeti inspired creation stomped through puddles of Artic melt and struck high fashion poses in front of the giant icebergs which were specially delivered from Sweden! Such a selfish mannerism is similar to me uprooting one of my neighbour's trees to accessorize my little niece's fashion fantasy in my garden. I would probably get a shelling from my neighbour! Why was it possible to have a slice of your own iceberg flown for a fashion show?
In my opinion, such high fashion designers have the industries A-list celebrities and influential personalities under their creative creations influence. They have the ability to influence the global population with environmentally friendly designs using materials such as organic cottons, environmentally safe dyes and bleaches, etc. Also, to reduce their emissions via transportation emissions, factory emissions, etc.
For example, celebrities like Pamela Anderson who have resorted to being the Ambassador for PETA to eliminate animal killing for fur. Celebrities have the power to make a change. They go hand in hand with high fashion designers. Us, mere mortal of the ordinary life imitate what we see in magazine covers; fashion or not. If everyone became pro- environmental in reducing the effects of climate change, we may not be having such unbearable hot days as we are experiencing now.
What are we doing to reduce the effects of climate change? I'm taking baby steps with using recyclable shopping cloth bags and recycling paper, plastic, glass and aluminiums. My neighbourhood has a strong force of recyclers, it would be rather embarassing to dump my recyclables while the others recycle. Im curious, how many of us recycle?
The actual article can be accessed via this link:
Dash

6 comments:

  1. I second you 100% Dash. Some people just think about the profit that they can make by manipulating and taking advantage of hot issues around them. Sadly, they never try to sell a bigger and better idea which is saving the planet.

    Fashion does have a vital environmental role to play, especially in the choice of fabrics used to make the clothes. A focus on how our clothes are made is much more important than exactly how they look. Hence, fashion designers should try put this idea forward more during runways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking about this,I am mostly agree with dash's point where "They have the ability to influence the global population with environmentally friendly designs using materials such as organic cottons, environmentally safe dyes and bleaches, etc." However, on their mind (business, benefits) is always the top priorities compare to our environment which always comes second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As consumers we have the power to change the demand. Years ago, There was this ad campaign being put forward into media channels , "when the buying stops, the killing will too". Although this was aimed to reduce the killing of endangered species of animals, this can be utilized in the brutal industry of fashion. Before it consumes our world n it's resources, we should fight this insatiable hunger of fashion.

    P.s: I'm not saying thathis is the primary cause of all problems relating to climate change n global warming but, it's one of the steps I see as achievable as consumers. Think before purchasing.

    My purchases have been carefully made since my cultural experiences hit me in Aberdeen,Scotland n small city, Reims in France. Recycling, the use of recycable shopping bags, organic goods were part if their daily life. When I came back, seeing plastics n pieces of paper being thrown out of a moving car really twisted my nerves. Mainly the reason I'm in this course. Lets bring on a change in social thinking towards the environment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very interesting article dash...i certainly agree with you.....environmental concern can widely established by celebraties and fashion. However it is very sad too hear when some irresponsible people just being so so sellfish.If every human could develop their concern towards the environment, wide range of environmental problems can be solved.Firstly every human must know how to use the rubbish bin properly. My nerves are twisted too when i see plastics n papers being thrown out of moving car.........!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dash..i agree with your comments.I would like to share an article on how to protect environment while shopping..
    Please refer the following link...
    http://www.epa.gov/epahome/shopping.htm
    It has some basic simple steps that we can follow while shopping...

    ReplyDelete